Board Governance Training
To advance the sustainability and missional success of biblical higher educational institutions by instructing and mentoring board leaders with regard to essential principles and practices for effective board governance. Participants will grow in their understanding and experience of . .
- Appropriate board roles and fiduciary responsibilities
- Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for effective institutional oversight
- Prudent board engagement in strategic thinking and planning
- The vital partnership with the board and president
- Purposes and essential elements of a sound Board Policy Manual
All participating institutions will collaborate with their Board Governance Coach to create a strategic institutional board development plan that facilitates ongoing board development toward sustained excellence beyond the completion of this training journey.
Fall Training Dates:
- September 22-23, 2021
Spring Training Dates:
- February 16-18, 2022 (As part of the ABHE Annual Meeting)
ABHE has received a significant grant from the Murdock Charitable Trust to help fund a major initiative in board governance training for ABHE member institutions.
Download the Board Governance Fact Sheet that describes the details of this strategic training program and the requirements for participating institutions. This program represents an investment of over $10,000 per institution provided by the Murdock Charitable Trust and ABHE.
Each participating institution will bring five of their leaders including the board chair, president, and three other board leaders to engage in four days of training provided during two separate training events:
- Hybrid in the Fall of 2021
- Hybrid in the Spring of 2022
Each institution will be assigned a coach to assist in their training journey and in the development of Five Strategic Action Steps flowing from their assessment of key board development points observed during the training. Within six months of the second training event, the coach will meet with the entire board to review the training principles and assist with follow up accountability on the action plan.
For questions, contact Project Manager, David Medders – firstname.lastname@example.org
The program includes 4 days of training provided during two events.
- 2021-2022 training events will be offered in a hybrid format – on-site at the ABHE Weber Center for Leadership Development in Orlando, Florida and virtually via Zoom.
- The 1st two-day training conference: Wednesday & Thursday, September 22-23.
- The 2nd three-day training conference: Wednesday-Friday, February 16-18 (As part of the ABHE Annual Meeting)
- Training sessions will include presentations on issues vital to effective board governance along with structured and facilitated discussions by the respective board leadership teams assessing their own areas of needed board development.
- Results: By the conclusion of the five days of training, each board leadership team will have crafted their own Five Strategic Action Steps based on insights gained during the training.
- Personal: For each institution — engagement must include the president, board chair, and three other leaders from the board; a total of five from each institution participating in all four days of training as outlined above along with the follow up meeting of the coach with the full board.
- Financial: Each participating institution will be responsible for their participants’ travel expenses to the training events, the onsite expenses for their coach’s meeting with the full board along with a modest $250 non-refundable registration fee. All other expenses are covered by the program partners — ABHE and the Murdock Charitable Trust, a total investment of up to $10,000. If travel expenses will present a significant financial hardship, some scholarship assistance is available.
BOARD RETREAT / MEETING
Within six months of the February training, each participating institution will host their coach for a full board meeting – to provide an overview of the entire training curriculum and specifically assist with follow up on the board’s Five Strategic Action Steps developed during the five days of training. Institutions will only be responsible for the onsite expenses of their coach for this event.
Certification is based on successful engagement by the 5-member board leadership team in the four days of training, subsequent meeting of the coach with the full board, and appropriate steps being taken to accomplish the Five Strategic Action Steps. Qualifying boards will be recognized at the subsequent ABHE Annual Meeting with the Excellence in Board Governance certificate.
Each institution will be assigned a coach with extensive experience in higher educational governance effectiveness. The coach will work with the board leadership team (BLT) and will be available for consultation throughout the entire training process — resulting in the crafting of a Five Key Strategic Actions plan. Institutions may request a preferred coach from the following list of coaches who have helped design this program.
JOHN DERRY – Former President of Hope International University